GovernmentServicesCommunityDepartmentsI'm Looking For
Go To Search
Click to Home
1874 Church Restoration Committee
1874 churcha.jpgOriginally known as Old St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, the 1874 Church, located at 438 N. Wall Street, is the oldest standing church in Bell County. The building is constructed of limestone rubble masonry and was finished in 1874. The church served as a place for refuge and solace to the neighborhood during World War II. In 1965, a stone bell tower was added.

The church is structurally unsound: The north and south walls are 10 inches out of plumb and the face stone of the walls has separated from the inner layer. The foundation has shifted and settled during the past 140 years, which has contributed to the building’s distress. The 1874 Church Restoration Committee actively seeks resources in an effort to preserve this valuable landmark.