A person has 10 working days from the date of a citation to contact the court, either by mail or by appearing at Belton Municipal Court. A phone call is not a substitute for an appearance. Options for handling your citation are as follows:
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest and pay the fine and court costs on or before the Initial Appearance date on your citation. Payment can be submitted in person at 100 S Davis St., online at www.municipalonlinepayments.com/beltontx, by phone at 254-933-5838, or by mail to PO Box 120, Belton, TX 76513. If you are unable to pay the citation in full, you must appear in our office to make other arrangements.
- Enter a plea of Not Guilty prior to your Initial Appearance by mail, fax, or in person. All cases will then be set for the required Pretrial Hearing with the City Prosecutor.
- To request a Driving Safety Course (only on eligible moving violations), you must present your valid TX driver's license, valid insurance that lists you as the insured, and pay court costs of $144.00 or $169.00 (if in a school zone) either by mail, in person, or online prior to your Initial Appearance.
The following citations may be dismissed by paying a $10 fee and providing proof of correcting the deficiency by providing a paid receipt for registration of the vehicle cited as well as the penalty fee assessed by the Tax Assessor's office:
- Expired Motor Vehicle Registration
No Proof of Insurance (Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility)
Citation may be dismissed if a driver provides proof of insurance from an insurance company for the date and time of the violation.
Deferred Disposition is a process in which the Judge requires the Defendant to adhere to certain terms. If those terms are completed successfully, the citation is dismissed. Terms may include, but are not limited to, refraining from committing certain violation during a specific period, attending a defensive driving class, or completing a specified number of community service hours. There are also additional fees that will apply in addition to the original amount of the citation. If the Defendant does not complete the terms of deferred disposition a conviction will be entered on the Defendant's driving record.
Belton Municipal Court accepts credit card payments over the phone (254-933-5838), or online. Fines may also be paid in person at the Finance Building at 100 S. Davis Street by cash, check, money order, or credit card. If you are unable to pay your citation, you can request other arrangements in person at 100 S Davis Street.
Pay by mail
- Sign the back of the citation and circle a plea of Guilty or No Contest (Nolo Contendere).
- A No Contest plea is not an admission of guilt. It means you do not wish to contest the charge.
- Either plea indicates that you agree to waive your right to a jury trial.