Bates Selected Director of Public Works
“Matt was well prepared for this interim role, which he has served in with distinction for six months. His management style and people skills have been a great fit in the Public Works Department.” Listi said.
Additionally, Listi indicated Bates has exercised professionalism, innovation, teamwork, and excellent customer service in fulfilling his responsibilities. Bates has served as project manager for key projects including:
- Completing the Shared Use Path Trail Project along IH-35;
- Directing plan development for Heritage Park expansion;
- Overseeing the IH-35 Sewer Line Extension Project;
- Scoping the Utility Master Plan Update Project;
- Managing the bidding and contract negotiations for construction of the elevated storage tank in northwest Belton; and
- Working closely with members of the development community to keep private and public construction projects progressing toward completion.
Matt has been a City of Belton employee for nine years, and a Director for seven of those years, receiving many accolades. He also completed the Texas City Management Association’s (TCMA) King Cole series on the Fundamental Responsibilities of City Management. Bates earned a Bachelor of Behavioral Science in Sport, Fitness and Leisure from Hardin-Simmons University and a Master of Education in Sport Management from Angelo State University
“I appreciate the confidence reflected in this appointment, which allows me to continue to work with a team of employees whom I know are dedicated and professional in the delivery of city services,” Bates said. “I’m certain the relationships we have developed over the past six months will continue to grow and benefit the citizens of Belton.”
Bates will continue to manage the Parks and Recreation Department.
Effective date of appointment as Director of Public Works for Matt Bates will be February 1, 2022.